2KZN PRO-TIP: Health & Fitness for NBA2K Players
In Episode 2 of WR LIVE, the Pro Tip segment featured Celtics Crossover Gaming’s Head Coach, Ricco Phinisee, who shared health and nutrition tips for NBA2K professionals and prospects.
Listed below is a summary of some of the key points of what Ricco shared with us during the interview:
- A healthy diet is more important than working out
- Sitting for too long can result in bad posture so it’s important to take breaks and stretch
- A lot of foods can make you feel tired, so make sure to eat foods that give you energy (see below for list)
- Burning out is the biggest risk of gaming too long, so it is very important to take breaks and do things outside of gaming such as reading a book.
- Being physically active and working out will increase your self-image and will also boost your confidence which will translate into more confidence as a gamer.
- If you don’t know how to get started, you can go to your local gym for a consultation where you can have your body composition (body fat, muscle mass) assessed. This will go a long way in creating a nutrition and exercise plan specifically tailored for you based on your goals and needs.
- Getting enough sleep is very important for recovery, maintaining good energy, staying alert and maintaining good focus while gaming.
The 2KZN are NOT medical professionals, so everything that is shared in this article is for general informational purposes only. Please consult with a doctor and/or a certified trainer before starting any new workout or nutritional program. That being said, here are a few tips on how to stay healthy while gaming:
1. Avoid strain injuries like carpal tunnel syndrome by performing simple exercises like moving your wrists in circles, flexing your fingers and stretching your wrists at least once an hour.
2. Improve posture by trying to play with a straight back with your monitor at eye level. If you slouch too much, then you might cause problems with other muscles in your body and even give yourself some digestive issues. Just remember to try and stand up for at least fifteen minutes per hour to avoid putting undue strain on your body.
3. Avoid eye strain by giving your eyes a break. Too much screen time can cause your eyes to strain which could lead to headaches, dry eyes or even double vision. Make sure that your monitor isn’t too bright, and try and close your eyes for a couple of minutes each hour to give your eye muscles chance to relax.
4. Correct nutrition is very important. Try to eat foods that will boost energy levels (list of 27 foods that increase energy).
5. Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
6. Sleep is essential for professional gamers’ fitness. The light emitted by your gaming rig may disrupt your body’s circadian rhythm which makes getting to sleep much harder. It’s recommended that you give yourself at least an hour away from screens before heading to bed.
7. Mental fitness is essential to stay healthy while gaming. If you feel stressed out be sure to talk to friends, and remember to take a break from the gaming action every now and then.
Foods that help increase energy levels:
- Fatty Fish (salmon, tuna)
- Brown Rice
- Sweet Potatoes
- Dark Chocolate
- Goji Berries
- Seeds (chia seeds, flaxseeds and pumpkin seeds)
- Green Tea
- Nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews)
- Leafy Green Vegetables (spinach, kale)